We were seeing this error on our workstations saying the WSUS EULA not downloading:
COMAPI WARNING: ISusInternal::GetEulaText failed, hr=80240033
You may have noticed in a previous post, we rebuilt or WSUS servers and went to shared content and database. Turns out, I forgot to specify an access account on the Content folder! This is so an anonymous user can still access the content files, which are stored on a sperate server. We found out by finding the URL in the log where it was trying to connect to IIS and download the txt, when we tried it, it got a 404, access denied. That’s when I rememberd that I forgot to set that account up.
So to fix this, go into the IIS manager on the SUP/WSUS server and select the advanced settings on the Content folder:
In the dialog, specify the Physical Path Credentials.
Now, it took a while for policy to download and updates to be reran, but we started seeing success after that.